Why a Night-Time Skincare Routine Is So Important
We might not realise it, but as we go about our day, our skin comes into contact with dirt. From air pollution and sweat to UV rays, make-up and general grime, your face has a lot to contend with. Looking after your skin before bed is a must if you want to prevent ageing skin and issues like acne. This is why sticking to an evening skincare routine is essential in keeping your skin protected and beautifully radiant.
Why Do I Need an Evening Skincare Routine?
After a long day, all you want to do is climb into a bed with a sigh of relief. Your skin wants to do exactly the same. It needs to breathe and repair itself, which is where a skincare routine steps in. Removing make-up and dirt that’s built up throughout the day not only cleans your skin but helps it stay hydrated and nourished, repairing your skin as you sleep. The reason your skin repairs itself quicker as you sleep is thanks to the increased blood flow to your skin. You can take full advantage of this skin renewal by introducing an effective skincare routine.
The quality of your sleep can also affect your skin. Your body restores and replenishes itself overnight, and your skin does the same. There have been studies to suggest that good quality sleep can actually reduce symptoms of rosacea, acne and eczema.
Without proper rest, your skin can appear pale and lacklustre, wrinkles and fine lines begin to form, and let’s not forget those dark under-eye circles showing up. Caring for your skin will help reduce the skin's aftermath of poor quality sleep.
As you wind down in the evening and get yourself ready for bed, dedicate an evening skincare routine that soothes your mind as well as your skin. Take the time to pamper and love your skin, using products like Husk & Seed’s Cleansing Balm, which has calming aromas to help you settle into a good night’s sleep.
Basic Night-Time Skincare Routine
1. Cleanse - Cleanse, cleanse, cleanse! Before we can apply any products, remove all the make-up and dirt from your skin. Cleansing is your new best friend, allowing your skin to breathe, and unclogging pores.
2. Exfoliate - You don’t need to exfoliate your skin every night, but 1-2 times a week should do the trick. Gently exfoliating your skin will clear away any dead skin cells, leaving it silky smooth.
3. Toner - A toner gives your skin one final cleanse after you’ve washed your face. It erases stubborn impurities that you might have missed during cleansing. It also helps to tighten the skin, diminishing pores.
4. Moisturise - Let’s hydrate! Moisturising your skin will reduce any dryness, maintaining the skin’s moisture, while also protecting the skin’s barrier from pollution and cold air, for example.
5. Overnight Mask or Oil - The final step of a night-time routine is applying an overnight mask or oil. Overnight, your skin loses moisture, so you need to keep your skin hydrated.
Visit The Shop
Head to Truth About Makeup’s online store and find products that are perfect for a healthy night- time skincare routine.